In order to be considered a no show, each of the following conditions has occurred:
- The customer has a scheduled ADA paratransit trip.
- The ADA vehicle arrives at the scheduled pick-up point no later than ten (10) minutes after the scheduled pick-up time.
- The driver waits at least five (5) full minutes beyond the scheduled pick-up time, and the customer fails to board the vehicle.
Late cancellations will be counted as a no-show for the purposes of this policy.
A late cancellation occurs when the customer (or customer's representative) fails to call dispatch one (1) hour or more prior to the scheduled pick-up time to cancel his/her ride.
If the customer has more than one ride scheduled, having a no-show does not automatically cancel the rest of the rides for the day. It is still the customer's responsibility to call and cancel the remaining rides for the day. If the rides are not cancelled, and the customer does not ride, the result would be additional no-shows.
MET will track scheduled trips, no-shows, and late cancellations by customer. MET will identify customers who have no-show/late cancellations within any thirty (30) day period which meet the following criteria. Customers who meet these criteria will be in violation of the no-show/late cancellation policy:
- No show/late cancellations represent ten percent (10) or more of their scheduled trips; and/or
- The customer has three (3) or more no-shows/late cancellations.
On the day the rider violates the no-show/late cancellation policy, the following progressive action will be taken:
- First occurrence — A warning letter will be issued advising the rider that he/she has violated MET's no-show/late cancellation policy.
- Second occurrence — Customer will receive a three (3) day* suspension.
- Third occurrence — Customer will receive a five (5) day* suspension.
- Fourth occurrence — Customer will receive a ten (10) day* suspension.
- Additional occurrences — Customer will receive a twenty five (25) day* suspension.
*For the purposes of this policy the suspension period means days that MET Transit is in operation, which excludes Sundays and holidays.
Passengers who contact MET to appeal no-shows will be provided with a form to complete and submit. The appeal form must be completed and submitted to MET for consideration within ten (10) days of the no-show/late cancellation violation. MET will investigate the customers appeal using computer and internal records, to determine if the challenge is valid. Also, consideration will be given to customers with no-shows that were a result of a circumstance beyond their control.
No-shows are EXCUSED when the trip is missed for the following reasons:
- The customer is sick.
- The customer has a family emergency
- Death or illness of family member, or other family emergency.
- Mobility aid failure.
- Appointment cancelled/delayed for reasons not the customers fault.
- Adverse weather: Snow storm, extreme heat or extreme cold.
- Acts of God: Flood, earthquakes, etc.
- Staffing error: The transit coordinator did not make all the cancellations the client requested; or customer just found out the ride was scheduled for the wrong day, time, or location; or the customer was not informed that his/her pick-up time was changed, and was not ready.
No-shows or cancels are NOT EXCUSED when the trip is missed for the following reasons:
- Customer didn't want to travel today.
- Customer changed their mind about using appointment.
- Customer didn't know or forgot that he/she had a ride scheduled or was supposed to call to cancel.
- Customer got another ride.
- Customer told someone else he/she was not planning to travel (driver, facility, etc.) or someone else scheduled the ride for him/her.
- Customer does not want to ride with specific driver or passenger, or on a specific vehicle.
Appealing a Warning or Suspension
Customers are given the opportunity to appeal a suspension of service before MET. Unless a violation is for safety reasons, suspension of service will not begin until the appeal process is complete. Customers will be notified in writing of the final decision.