In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and directives from the Federal Transit Administration, MET Transit will make every effort, to the maximum extent feasible, to ensure that a person with a disability has access to, and benefits from, its services.
MET Transit will make reasonable modifications to its policies, programs, and procedures applicable to its transportation services, when necessary to avoid discrimination and ensure accessibility for people with disabilities.
Reasonable modifications do have limitations and are not intended to:
- Cause a direct threat to the health and safety of others
- Create undue financial and administrative burdens
- Constitute a fundamental alteration to a service
- Not necessary to provide equal access to a MET Transit service
Considerations when making a reasonable modification request:
- Individuals requesting modifications shall describe what they need in order to use the service.
- Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term "reasonable modification" when making a request.
- Whenever feasible, requests for modifications shall be made and determined in advance, before the transportation provider is expected to provide the modified service, for example, during the paratransit eligibility process or through customer service inquiries.
- Where a request for modification cannot be made and determined in advance (e.g., because of a condition or barrier at the destination of a paratransit or fixed route trip of which the individual with a disability was unaware until arriving), operating personnel of the company shall make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request.
Operating personnel may consult with MET Transit management before making a determination to grant or deny the request. The request must identify the modification needed in order to use the service.
Whenever feasible, please make the request in advance, before the modification is needed to access the service. Within the scope of the ADA and reasonable modification, if MET Transit denies a request it will make every effort, to the maximum extent feasible, to ensure that a person with a disability has access to, and benefits from, its services.
To request reasonable modifications based on a disability please use the Reasonable Modification Request Form, or contact MET Transit’s General Manager, Mark Little (firstname.lastname@example.org) or submit the request in writing by mail:
1515 Black Hawk St.
Waterloo, IA. 50702
If unable to communicate in writing, please contact Mark Little by calling 319-234-5714 ext. 101.
You may be asked to complete a request form. MET will review the request in accordance with its reasonable modification plan. All the information involved with this process will be kept confidential in the ADA Manager's Office.